New York based singer-songwriter Amy Jay creates thoughtful acoustic folk that is gentle and lush with strong emphasis on genuine, reflective lyrics. Her music deals with the struggle of life - losing friendships, dealing with relationships, and longing for something better. She got her start with music learning violin and piano at the age of seven before finding her passion of singing. After being heavily involved with her high school vocal ensembles and recording studio, she moved to New York to study and pursue music.
Her 2016 debut EP Supposed To Be (produced by Jon Seale of Brooklyn-based production outfit Mason Jar Music - Feist, Josh Garrels, Aoife O'Donovan) deals with the conflict of hope and pain we all experience, how things are not the way they are supposed to be. Amy says "the biggest thing that came out of this EP is that there is beauty in the messiness of life. I have learned that through everything that goes wrong you can find hope in it all." Songs from the EP were featured on Spotify and Apple playlists, have accumulated over a half million streams worldwide. Critics called Supposed To Be "a smart mix of folk and atmospheric pop music" (HIGH CLOUDS) and that "listening to it feels like floating down a dreamy river, calmly propelled by the current" (EUPHORIA MAGAZINE). Although mostly acoustic in style, the music often features large and lush arrangements with string sections and intricate percussion. Performing mostly in and around New York, NY - she played a Communion Music showcase in September 2016, multiple rounds at singer-songwriter staple Rockwood Music Hall, and at long running Musikfest in Bethlehem, PA before making a stopover at Hotel Utah in San Francisco.
2018 marks a year for new music, and Amy Jay plans to release her second EP.
- Debut EP 'Supposed to Be' Producer by Jon Seale of Mason Jar Music and mastered by Alan Silverman
- Songs from the EP have been streamed over 500,000 times worldwide
- Over 350,000 streams on Spotify
- Over 100,000 streams on Google Play Music
- Over 45,000 streams on Apple Music
- Performed for Communion Music showcase in September 2016
- Performed for Millennium Music Conference showcase Feb 2017
- Performed in festival spot at Musikfest August 2017
- Playlisting on Apple Music's 'A-List: Singer/Songwriter'
- Playlisting on Apple Music's 'Best of the Week' in the UK/Ireland
- Playlisting on Apple Music's 'New Artists: Singer/Songwriter'
- Playlisting on Spotify's 'Folk & Friends'
- Playlisting on Spotify's 'Fresh Finds: Six Strings'
- Charted on Spotify's 'Viral Hits Canada'
- Appearance on Spotify's 'Just Blogged' playlist by the Hype Machine
- Appearance on iTunes 'New Artist Spotlight' for Singer/Songwriter
- Light rotation of "Only One" on WRFI in Ithaca, NY
- Christmas song "In A Whisper" released December 1, 2016
- Lyric video for "Only One" produced by Andy DeLuca (Wolf Alice, The Struts, Gallant, Lauv, Bayside)
- Remix for "Only One" produced by ELIS - Elliot Jacobson (VÈRITÈ, KAYE) and Chris Leon (MERCI RAINES, LANEY LYNX)
- HIGH CLOUDS - "Amy Jay‘s music will remind you of Laura Marling and by reaching the first spot of iTunes’ New Artist Spotlight, she shows that she is maybe as talented as her. The New York-based singer-songwriter will drop her debut “Supposed To Be EP” on July 15 and the second single, “Only One”, is a smart mix of folk and atmospheric pop music."
- EUPHORIA MAGAZINE - "Supposed to Be is soft and brightly nuanced. Jay’s voice is elegant and self assured, and the smooth production envelops us into her world with no complaint. Thoughtful and at times melancholy, the music manages to beguile us with earnestness. Listening to it feels like floating down a dreamy river, calmly propelled by the current."
- PLAYTOOMUCH - Guest Post "The biggest thing that came out of this EP is that there is beauty in the messiness of life. I have learned that through everything that goes wrong you can find hope in it all."